Dreams

A couple weeks ago, I awoke suddenly in the midst of a daunting nightmare–a combination of my biggest fears. My body was physically responding as though everything in the dream had actually happened; my heart felt as though it was desperately trying escape from my chest, and I was on the brink of tears.
Despite traumatizing experiences like this, I love dreaming. Some people rarely remember having dreams. Others remember having them often-I am one of those people. And my dreams are weird. They’re a menagerie of plots, locations, and people. The person I passed by on the street the other day, my preschool teacher, and someone I don’t recall ever meeting all make guest appearances. They reach a level of complexity that I have a hard time comprehending when I am awake yet somehow understand perfectly when I am asleep.
I’ve always been fascinated by dreams. They aren’t fully understood in the scientific world, and there are many fascinating questions that remain unanswered. Here are some of mine:
Why do we remember some dreams but not others?
Although we don’t always remember our dreams, we actually have them at least four to six times every night! I often recall my most recent dreams, but there are a few dreams that I had more than ten years ago that I still vividly remember. I remember an old dream in which my neighbor’s house across the street turned out to be a gigantic industrial cake factory, and I had to fight a battle against killer robots in it. And I still recall a dream I had when I was five years old, one of the scariest dreams I’ve ever had. In it, an evil witch disguised herself as my mom, and I had to figure out how to determine which one was my real mom. Terrifying. There are other dreams that I vaguely recall pieces of information or blurred images from, but some are simply unforgettable for whatever reason. Perhaps what made them memorable was that they were nightmares?
Why can we have the same dream twice?
There are a few seemingly arbitrary dreams that I’ve had multiple times. I would not be able to recall the structure of any of the history flowcharts we learned sophomore year if you asked me to. So how can I remember a dream I had years before, and have the same, frame-by-frame identical one again? How and where does your brain store that information? If you’ve seen Inside Out–which I think does a fabulous job of visually representing how the mind organizes memories–I imagine the glowing memory marbles in the movie as dreams, stored on a shelf in your brain somewhere.
Are dreams related to déja vu?
Sometimes, I’ll experience a seemingly mundane moment and will be suddenly hit with the feeling that it had happened before, which is a puzzling and spooky feeling. I try to explain it by telling myself that what I saw or what happened felt familiar because I had experienced it in a dream.
Let me know what you think! Have you had any similar or interesting dream-related experiences or questions?

Comments

  1. I often think about dreaming and why we know so little about it. Sometimes I'll be in a dream and know that I'm asleep and I'll try to stay asleep because I'm enjoying my dream so much, but when I start to wake the dream falls apart and I have to make the dream myself. It almost seems like I'm more creative when I'm asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great "info plus" style blog combining personal experience and facts. What I related to most from this post was the deja vu feeling. Sometimes I dream something, and then it happens in real life. Weird. I wish I could remember dreams as well as you do. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wondered a lot about how dreams work myself. The deja vu you speak of is especially weird, and always puzzling. I always have to think for a little bit if the experience happened before in real life, or in a dream, or if I am just imagining things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost wrote my post about dreams this week, too! Recently, my dreams have been becoming increasingly realistic-- they 're about mundane things that I think about doing but never get around to, like cleaning my laptop screen and retrieving a colored pencil from another room-- but literally every single detail in real life is completely accurately represented in the dreams. Anyways, this is a really interesting post! I also have a few dreams that I can remember vividly, but most of them are from when I was younger. And to the deja vu part, I'll often see something in real life and suddenly remember a dream or a part of a dream I had the night before, which is always fun but also really weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like dreaming (or, remembering them I guess since we're always dreaming), but unfortunately I rarely remember my dreams. Usually I go for long periods of time without remembering a single dream, and then all of a sudden remember a dream from every single night. It seems to be linked to location as well. When I go to Norway on vacation I remember a lot more of my dreams than when I'm here. I think it has something to do with how relaxed I am, because recently I've been remembering quite a lot of my dreams and I've been out of school for a while.

    I also find it very strange how we remember some dreams extremely vividly and others we forget right after we wake up. Most of the dreams I remember from a long time ago are the bizarre ones, like the one where I was running away from a witch throwing tomatoes at me and suddenly began to fly. Or the time that I kept waking up from a dream, only to find myself in another dream that I would wake up from. But then again I think most of the dreams I have are pretty bizarre, so really who knows what causes us to remember some and discard others.

    It's too bad we can't dream about flowcharts to study.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts