Rock Climbing

I started rock climbing when I was nine years old. I heard that there was a new climbing wall at the U of I campus recreation facility (ARC), and had my heart set on holding my birthday party there.

I was one of the only kids at my party who didn’t make it to the top of the wall. Actually, I made it three feet off of the ground, and then clung to the wall, unwilling to even move an arm or a leg. But something clicked that day and I wanted to go back every chance I had to. My dad graciously agreed to bring me back many times after my party to keep trying. I made absolutely no progress. Eventually, he gave me an ultimatum: make it to the top of the wall on your next attempt, or never come back.

I was on the thirty-five-foot wall for about forty minutes. I’m pretty sure the belayer pulled me up the entire way, but I made it. But that experience proved to me how much I loved climbing and wanted to do it. The next time I returned, I made it to the top again. It’s kind of like riding a bike. Once you do it you have the confidence to do it again. I kept returning to the climbing wall several times a week after that, slowly improving and starting to climb routes.

Over time, an amazing community of climbers emerged at the ARC and on campus. I felt a part of it, even though I was ten years younger than most. I noticed a group of climbers who went to the ARC frequently started to meet up every week to boulder. They made up problems and worked on them together, and it looked like so much fun. One day, when I was nine or ten years old, I built up the courage to join them. Too shy to ask, I walked up behind them instead and stood there watching, probably for about thirty minutes. Eventually, one of them, Roger, asked if I wanted to try. I was terrible, but from that point on, I was hooked on bouldering and with the community feel of sessioning on a problem. As I climbed with them, I got stronger, improved technically, and made really good friends.

There is a house on campus that one of my first friends, Tori, used to live in, and she built a small wooden bouldering wall in it. Tori, Roger, Michael, Texas Mike, and Stephanie, some of my other friends, invited me over one night to hang out and climb with them. That was so much fun. They’ve all graduated now, so it makes me nostalgic and a little bit sad to think about, but it’s a special memory. I think they still hold climbing parties at that house.

There was a period of time where I started to go to the wall almost every day. My physical strength was improving considerably, especially after I started bouldering. One day, there was a stand set up in the front entrance of the ARC by Marines and they had a pull up bar. I remember freaking them out, a twelve year old girl who did eleven honest pull ups. I was never an especially athletic kid growing up. Climbing gave me the confidence to push myself physically, and gave me confidence socially to take part in the climbing community.

I barely climb anymore. I haven’t gone in months. It feels weird to go to the wall and not to recognize anyone there, because a lot of my old friends have graduated by now, and the camaraderie in the climbing community is such a valuable part of the experience. But whenever I do see someone, it warms my heart because it illuminates a part of my past that I feel like I’m forgetting a little bit every day.

Nevertheless, I highly recommend climbing not only as a bomb exercise source that will make you stronger but also because it’s a truly special activity. It’s a mentally and physically challenging exercise and there is no limit to how hard you can push yourself. And if you’re nervous about getting started or that you can’t do heights, I know that you will do better than I did my first time. :)

Belayer: A person who controls the tension in the rope to ensure the climber is safe
Routes: Paths of varying difficulties
Boulder: A type of climbing where you climb short routes (or boulders outdoors) without a rope and using mats and a spotter for safety (technical difficulty in bouldering makes up for lack of distance)
Problems: Short routes

P.S. Here is a link to a short video documentary on climbing if you’re interested:

Comments

  1. I really like rock climbing and bouldering as well. The tone you used was very honest and easy to read. I also like that you incorporated the stories about your past and what got you interested in rock climbing. Overall this was a really good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started bouldering over the summer, and now I'm completely hooked. I feel bad because I'm always super annoying and talking about it all the time, but it's just so much fun. Like you said, it's a great sport that's both physically and mentally challenging, and a good way to meet fun new people. I'm pretty shy so talking to people can be kind of scary for me, but literally every single person I've talked to there has been super nice and friendly. Thanks for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually remember my first (and only) time rock climbing at the ARC. It was insanely scary (I'm really scared of heights), so I barely got past the first floor. I also enjoyed hearing about your friendships gained from rock climbing/ bouldering. My friend constantly asks me to boulder with her, and I think I'll try it (at least once)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went rock climbing once and never went again, but I did make it to the top. I don't plan on going back BUT I think you should go back and relive your glory days. Why did you stop? Have you thought about getting back into it? To me, it sounds a bit like once the community was gone it wasn't as fun to go climb, which makes sense. Still think you should go back though cause people who do it look cool .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too found a love for rock climbing when I was younger and just like you I dreamed of having a birthday party there (later I did have a great one). For me, it was actually about proving others wrong and realizing my upper body strength was actually existent. People always thought I wasn't very strong or as strong as them because I was skinny but this was the first thing I was better than them at. My light weight combined with my arm strength made me a good climber and I loved going at the wall from all different angles. My favorite part of the climb is actually the ride down, proving your accomplishments, and having fun jumping on the way down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have gone rock climbing a few times and really enjoyed it. I haven't been in a while, but our post might just inspire me to try climbing again. Your description of the community was really cool and it sounds like it was a great group. I wish you good luck with any future climbing escapades.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts