What objects tell the story of your life?

While reflecting on my past, I pondered which objects I used the most, meant the most to me, and might represent the story of my childhood. This is a diverse collection of beloved objects. Each tells a different story, and together they speak of the interests and passions of my early life.    

Street Beat

My purple and pink “Street Beat” CD player was one of the first Christmas presents I remember. It came with a selection of CDs, including Disney Princess: The Ultimate Song Collection, Rockin 50s, My Little Broadway, and of course, the Hannah Montana 2: Meet Miley Cyrus disc set. My CDs were my treasures. I kept all of them safely stowed in the second drawer of my dresser. I spent a great deal of time lying on my bed or dancing around my bedroom with my Street Beat turned all the way up and my favorite track numbers set on repeat.

Guitar

My family tells me that when I was very little I picked up my dad’s old guitar and started playing it. This prompted my uncle to buy me a miniature guitar, more fitted to my size. One evening, I remember taking the guitar into my room, sitting on my bed, and strumming down on all of its strings—letting out the emotions of a stressful day at preschool. That day, I composed my greatest masterpiece:

Sometimes I feel happy
Sometimes I feel sad
Sometimes I feel angry
But it doesn’t matter at all

I would continue to substitute as many other emotions as I could think of into the lyrics, while passionately and contently strumming on the open strings of my little guitar.

Binder

As an only child, I spent a lot of time entertaining myself. When I wasn’t writing songs on my guitar or wearing out my Street Beat, I found an interest in designing businesses. I wrote up plans for a lemonade stand, bracelet company, school, fashion label, architecture firm, and many more. I remember telling my mom that I needed to go to Target to buy a binder to organize all of my plans. I thought that would be very professional. It felt like the first step that I was taking towards becoming a serious entrepreneur.

Tote

From first grade to sixth grade, my Sunday afternoons were reserved for Chinese lessons at the foreign languages building on campus. In preparation for class, each week I packed a blue tote bag with all of my textbooks and snacks. I loved going to class and then participating in traditional folk dance classes immediately afterwards. Eventually I wore through the bag, and my grandma helped me sew a patch in the bottom where the books had fallen through. The tote reminds me of the time I spent at Chinese school, which I enjoyed very much.

Shoes

After developing an avid interest in rock climbing, my parents bought me my first pair of climbing shoes. As soon as I opened the box, which smelled of the light green leather and rubber soles, I felt like a real climber. Becoming a part of the climbing community on campus and in town became an important part of who I was. Each time I laced up my climbing shoes I felt a sense of identity, belonging, and confidence.

In retrospect, each of these objects reminds me of a special memory. At the same time, I am curious and wonder what new objects may tell the story of my future life.

Comments

  1. First, I really enjoyed reading this because I feel like I know you better as a person. For example, I knew you were into rock climbing, but I now see the many interests you have. I learned more about you personality and hopes as a young child and can see how you have changed or stayed the same, knowing you now. I have to admit, I found the format interesting at first, but in the end, I think it works. I felt like each section kind of felt like its own essay, but they were connected by the idea behind the prompt and common theme of what each object meant to you. Its not really a problem, just something to think about. You wrote this well, but I was left with wanting to know more. I know that's difficult with the limitations, but maybe you could use these for other essays and expand on them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts