My Thoughts On Baker's Descriptive Style In "The Mezzanine"

One of the features of Baker’s writing style that interests me is his unconventional way of describing things. I enjoyed two of the thought-provoking techniques he used in particular: lists and metaphors.

One of my favorite examples of Baker’s use of lists occurs when Howie breaks his left shoelace. At that point, he writes,

“The curve of incredulousness and resignation I rode out at that moment was a kind caused in life by a certain class of events, disruptions of physical routines, such as:
  1. reaching a top step but thinking there is another step there, and stamping down on the landing;
  2. ...
  3. drawing a piece of Scotch tape from the roll… and then, just as you are intending to break the piece off over the metal serration, reaching the innermost end of the roll, so that the segment you have been pulling wafts unexpectedly free… and when you do, there is a feeling, nearly, though very briefly, of shock and grief…”

In this excerpt, Baker uses a list to provide specific examples, and in doing so illustrates, as opposed to simply describing, Howie's experience of breaking his shoelace. Because I've experienced moments similar to the ones Baker lists, I have a better understanding of the annoyance and dismay that Howie feels, and I feel it too when my memories of similar experiences are recalled. I think that brings the reader closer to Howie and in turn helps them get to know him a little bit better. This relatability helps us understand what Howie experiences in a deeper way because it invites us to draw from our own experiences. Also, I think the relatability of the human experiences which Baker writes about, especially the ones that are somewhat flawed, contribute to the humor of the novel.

Another technique Baker uses frequently is metaphor/simile. Through metaphor, Baker articulates experiences in ways that one wouldn’t normally think of, which makes you stop, pause, and think (and often, smile). I think that makes the experience of reading his work much more entertaining. There is something inherently exciting about seeing things that you think you are familiar with presented in a new light. The moments when you think, “I’ve never thought of that before,” and “oh my god, you’re so right” are always a lot of fun, and I had several of those epiphany-like moments while reading The Mezzanine. Some of my favorites:

“But now I saw that (my shoes) had two deep wrinkle lines above the toe, intersectingly angled, like the line of the heart and the line of the head in palmistry.” (page 25)
* I’ve never compared the appearance of wrinkled leather to the creases in a palm, or anything really, but it’s actually an impressingly accurate description of the texture and shape of the wrinkle lines in leather.

“Bob and I were gradually going to be brought closer and closer to each other… destined to intersect at about the midpoint of our progress, twenty feet in the air in the middle of a vaultlike lobby of red marble…” (page 60)
* I love the imagery of a red marble “vault.”

“What that meant was that my company was as a rule paying me to make six visits a day to the men’s room—three in the morning, and three in the afternoon: my work was bounded and segmented by stops in this tiled decompression chamber, in which I adjusted my tie, made sure that my shirt was tucked in, cleared my throat, washed the newsprint from my hands, and urinated onto a cake of strawberry deodorant resting in one of four wall-mounted porcelain gargoyles.” (page 71-72)
* I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone attempt to articulate what a bathroom in a public building is like, but I think the phrase “tiled decompression chamber” does it pretty well. Also, the imagery of wall-mounted porcelain gargoyles will be hard to unsee.

“I rinsed my glasses quickly under the tap, eager to be able to study my shoes in detail once again; I polished the lenses with the fifth paper towel, making bribe-me, bribe-me finger motions over the two curved surfaces until they were dry.” (page 97)
*I love how a mundane task like polishing a pair of glasses is animated and given a voice, "bribe-me, bribe-me".

And, of course, “The idea of a cross-section of olive-encircled pimiento set like a cockatoo’s eye in the white stretch of cream cheese…” (page 39)

What about you guys? Are there any other elements of Baker’s style that you find interesting or relatable?

Comments

  1. Baker’s style was something I had mixed feelings about. However, one thing I thought was really impressive/interesting is his ability to somehow manage to write a story without really focusing on the main character. We spend so much time reading about Howie’s thoughts that somehow Baker manages to get us to not stop and think “wait so I’ve read xyz pages, what do I really know about this character?” I’ve never read a book in my life where I don’t learn the main character’s name within the first one or two chapters. Baker breaks convention with the Mezzanine in so many ways that end up making this book unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had similar mixed feelings about the book, especially when I started reading it. To be honest, I was frustrated with the slow pace and the in-depth explorations of mundane things. But the more we discussed Howie’s character, the deeper themes of the story, and how Baker breaks convention in the novel, the more I started to appreciate his methods/techniques, and really started to enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I agree! I think Baker's descriptive style is unlike any other book i've read before and it really made me see things in a new light. There were times when he described awkward social encounters and I thought, "wow, I thought I was the only one who felt that way" Additionally, his unique metaphors and comparisons have made me think about the world in a new light. For example, I have never thought of the "bribe me" gesture that people make when cleaning their glasses, but after reading The Mezzanine, I can no longer unsee it! Baker's unconventional style of writing has really made me look at things from his point of view in ways that no other book has before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your comment about the lists is very interesting. It's not the first thing you notice about Baker's style, but, as you point out, it's very important to it. It allows Baker to put in lots of information, and lots of his metaphors and similes, in a compact format that seems believable and avoids condensation of text. Instead of a block of text filled with colons and commas, it allows the reader to see each individual metaphor, while also having them be a part of a coherent whole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baker's writing style is an intriguing subject matter. His use of metaphors adds a descriptive layer to the narrative. Baker's comparisions are often used to defamiliarize casual objects and reinvigorate them to the reader, so they are able to see them from a different perspective.
    On the other hand Baker use of lists in his writing adds an element of relatability to the novel. It provides a more humorous outlook to his observations, keeps the reader engaged, and leaves them yearning for more. Baker combines these two aspects wonderfully, using metaphors in conjunction with lists to create a uniqueness only enjoyed within "The Mezzanine."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like you also had moment while I was reading Baker's Novel stopping and stating in my head "I never thought about that" That's so true! I just love the way he was able to describe things in a way that makes more sense then a sensible analogy (I don't know if that made sense but if you know, you know). I loved this post especially the way you listed quotes and then underneath it you stated your thoughts as you were reading it and I really felt as if I was in your mind for a few fleeting moments. Keep up the good work :D *Thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts