I feel you, Gregor.

At the beginning of the novel, Gregor is clearly unhappy with his job. He thinks, “O God, what an exhausting job I’ve chosen! On the move day in, day out… I’m saddled with the strain of all this travelling, the anxiety about train connections, the bad and irregular meals, the constant stream of changing faces with no chance of any warmer, lasting companionship.” He is also a part of a hierarchical, bureaucratic system, that sounds pretty oppressive, based off his description of his boss: “Sitting up on his desk and talking down to his staff from on high…”  All the while, Gregor doesn’t seem to do anything about it or stand up for himself. What a wimp, right? I think it’s easy to judge, but I find Gregor’s life to be somewhat relatable.

He wakes up in the morning, and despite his clearly negative feelings about his job, and his transformation into a monstrous insect, his number one priority is still getting to work. He feels that it is an obligation, and reminds himself, “Ah well, I haven’t given up all hope yet; once I’ve got the money together to pay back what my parents owe him—that should be managed in five or six years—I’ll do it without fail.” In this quote, Gregor is looking forward to the future, and is waiting for a period of unhappiness to pass, seemingly in the hope of reaching a better time.

I resonate with that sentiment. Similar to how Gregor’s life is defined entirely by his work routine, our lives are largely defined by going to school. I’m wired to wake up, get ready for school, go to school, come back and do school work, repeat. It’s a huge part of my life. (Just to clarify, I love school and it’s not at all as terrible as Gregor’s job.) However, there are moments when I’ve felt like Gregor does here. There have been times when I was doing school work, for example, memorizing flowcharts, writing essays, or studying for bio exams, and I felt no passion for doing so and questioned why I was. I always did it, though, and for a similar reason to Gregor’s; I told myself to push through it in order to reach a greater goal. For example, I remember sitting at my dining room table, three hours into memorizing flowcharts, and starting to question the point of it. Like Gregor reminded himself that he would be done with the arrangement in five or six years, I would remind myself to keep pushing for another few hours. I told myself that if kept going, I’d get a good score on the test, good grade in the class, get into college, etc. Just like Gregor's commitment to his job, commitment to school is central to my life.

But it’s interesting to consider what would happen, and who I’d be, if I suddenly wasn’t able to go to school anymore. How would I fill my time, if not with homework? I think that’s one of the interesting questions Kafka poses in The Metamorphosis. When Gregor is debilitated by his new circumstances, he’s no longer able to go to work, he loses his purpose, and he kind of loses the hope he was holding on to. It makes you think about why you do what you do, and what your goals are. Both Gregor's attitude toward his job, and his transformation, prompt us to think about our own lives, and how they might by similar to Gregor's.

Comments

  1. Before this class I did not think I would find myself relating too a giant bug but here I am. I also find myself slipping into Gregor's mindset of absolute devotion to my work even when I'm sick and shouldn't be at school. I think one thing that differentiate Gregor's story and my own experience, is the idea of fairness. Gregor's going to work everyday and his father gets profit off his work and eat a lavish breakfast. No one other than myself profits from me studying for a physics midterm. I do think Gregor's story does help readers examine their own lives however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thought provoking! There have definitely been times throughout high school where I've had to tell myself, "you only have x more time until x". I think the fact that Gregor stays focused even through his transformation should serve as inspiration to all of us that we can work through our problems

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your argument essentially describes a question that philosophers to this day are trying to answer: What is the purpose of life? From Gregor's perspective, the answer to this question lies in working tirelessly to support his family. Now that he is an insect, Gregor loses this purpose he had been working towards for all his life. It is safe to assume that Gregor is at a loss to what his purpose is when he realizes he is unable to fulfill it. To add onto that, his family isolates him and does not support his psychological needs whatsoever, leading Gregor to feel even more guilt for being worthless and a dependent on his family. Gregor's hopelessness reaches a climax when Grete, his sister that he had shared such an intimate bond with prior to his transformation, believes he should be gotten rid of. With no purpose and without hope, Gregor has no reason not to end his suffering once and for all, resulting in the novel ending in the way it did. Humans today need a goal to keep them motivated, and Gregor's situation has parallels to what we might sometimes feel when that motivation runs out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you how explore the idea of what would happen if Gregor did in fact stand up for himself. I do agree that quitting an established way of life is incredibly difficult and potential devastating as he may feel that he has lost his way in life. By exploring these what if situations I feel more sympathetic to Gregor's job and status in the family as I also ponder how meaningless the endless cycle of homework and school is but I can never imagine stopping it because it gives you some type of purpose(which is kind of sad).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts